•Retired NHLer Theoren Fluery is in Edmonton today promoting his new book Conversations with a Rattlesnake. Theo teams up with therapist Kim Bathel to create more awareness about sexual abuse of young people. Tough subject, absolutely. But we have to talk about it, absoutely.
• It’s a big day for Norquest College who is launching their Maximizing Opportunities – The NorQuest Campaign. Goal: $20 million. And a major announcement will be made about the naming of the college’s new academic building.
• The Eskimos are having a closed practice today. Closed, you understand — which makes us wonder if that means it’s haircut day for Bryan Hall.
• Sun photo editor Tom Braid is always doing something interesting. For the last couple of years he has carried a small to medium amount of empty bottles in the trunk of his car. When Tom’s covering a story he usually comes across a bottle picker a couple of times a month. “I will stop and give them to the guy,” says Tom, adding they are always thankful.
• Which do you think is more challenging for referees to control in minor hockey: a tied game in the last minute, or a 5-0 game in the final minute?
• Congratulations to Marjorie Bencz who celebrated a significant anniversary as executive director of Edmonton’s Food Bank Oct. 10. In fact, mayor Don proclaimed it Marjorie Bencz Day in Edmonton.
• Big game tonight with the Oilers and Canucks at Rexall. Vancouver Canuck coach Will Desjardines always carries a clipboard with him when he’s on the bench. Always. Which begs the question: are his favourite take-out restaurants on the clipboard so he can place a quick order for after the game?
• Be part of Tait’s 8!
Share any good news, thoughts, secret grape jelly recipes, milestones or anything great. Connect by email email@example.com